Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Very Productive Week

So between working and everything else I try not to let my free time get sucked up in watching TV, which some weeks is harder than others. This past week I feel like I was very productive and here is why.

#1 I gave my dog a haircut. Our sweet Gus' coat grows very quickly and he begins to look slightly mangy if we let it go too long, so I thought I would save a few bucks and try doing it myself. It took WAY longer than I thought and was very tricky, but all in all I feel it was successful. I definitely have a new appreciation for our groomer.



#2 I "refurbished" a dresser.

Our neighbors stuck this gem out on their curb and I scooped it up (with the help of a very friendly man in an excursion). We are seriously lacking in the furniture in our new place so I thought I would try my hand at fixing this one up, after all it was free.
Then I sanded the entire thing. The hand paint design on the drawers was a little stubborn, but overall the little power sander we have made this part super easy. Next I used a little wood putty on the holes and ran to home depot to buy some wooden knobs, stain and a foam brush.
Finally, I stained the whole thing. It takes a bit of patience and I ended up doing 2 coats to get the color I wanted, but I liked the antique feel of it.
All together it took me probably 4 hours (not including wait time for drying) and it cost me around $10 for the knobs, stain and foam brush. I am not a pro by any means, but not bad for my first attempt.

5 comments:

  1. Love the dresser/side table, isn't it fun refinishing furniture? And your dog looked like a different dog once you were done, impressive, don't think I could have done it! So glad you have a blog now! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am so glad you are blogging so we can keep up with you!!1 You did such an amazing job on the dresser very impressive!!! Hope you guys are doing well we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing job on that dresser! And YAY for your new blog!! I love all the pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. very impressed with your blog start! And yes, you were VERY productive this week. You have A LOT more to show than I do! Looking forward to being able to blog stalk you now! Also- how did you connect with Mark Owens for your engagement photos? Did you know I've known him since 7th grade! His younger brother is one of my BEST friends from home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome! So glad you caved in to the pressure! I loved all the pictures. Ya'll are so cute. I'm excited to be able to keep up on all the happenings:)

    ReplyDelete