Monday, August 15, 2011

Be Prepared!

Ever since I was a kid, my mom had us pack backpacks with clothes and food for our 72hr kits and we had a basement full of home food storage. As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we have been counseled to keep 3 months worth of food, water and other supplies in case of emergency. Now that we are in a little house, I have room for some food storage which is exciting. At each trip to the grocery store I pick up a few extra things and add it to the stash.
Last month at church we focused on 72 hour emergency preparedness kits, so being the slacker that I am I waited until this last weekend to start working on our 72 hr kits. I have a checklist with all the items I need, from spare clothes and flashlights to ponchos and a pocket knife, and I pulled what we have into a backpack and a duffle bag. While at this point I only have about half of the items on the list, you gotta start somewhere!
Now I know that I am going to get some laughs for these next pics but whatever. We all know I love my dogs and in the spirit of emergency preparedness I decided to get them some backpacks for them.
Gus's is packed with food and Jax's has the water, since he's got the muscles. I took them out for a little walk to test it out and let's just say it will take awhile for them to get used to it.

3 comments:

  1. that is CUTE. and you are way ahead of me on the preparedness thing. thanks for the reminder. i need to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I love that you made them packs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, why do we share a brain? I just last week told B that we needed to get on this mess....and now, an earthquake and pending hurricane later, just got back from Target with A LOT of the stuff needed to complete our kits! YAY for brain sharing!

    ReplyDelete