Monday, November 26, 2012

Dr. Dolittle's got nothing on me!

I am an animal lover. That is no big surprise. But what does continue to surprise me is the amount of animals in distress that I encounter. At least once a month I find a dog wandering loose in the neighborhood (with our without tags) and find a way to return it home. It's like I am a magnet for any creature in need of help.

As I was riding my bike to the post office with my dog, I hear the most startling cry coming from the tiniest kitten you have ever seen, all alone in an office building parking lot. I called Mason, who came to the rescue with a cardboard box and a towel and I scooped him up. My vet said he was about 4 weeks old and about a day from death, his eyes were glued shut with goop, had a really bad cold, and he had so many fleas on him his blood was all but sucked dry. I took this photo after a few days on antibiotics, when he started to finally look better.

After a week of medicine and all the food he could eat, he started to come back to life. His nose was finally pink and while I could still feel every bone in his little body, he was gaining weight. Crisis averted! Within another few weeks he had put on a full pound and starting playing and running around like crazy. 

The next step was finding him a home, which is always the trickiest part. I shamelessly posted (and reposted) him on facebook and Mason's Aunt who lives in Arizona fell in love with his little face. She came out to CA and picked him up. (And I stole these photos from her : )

I am happy to report he now has the absolute best home and a new bff showing him the ropes out in AZ!

No comments:

Post a Comment