Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dr. Mack is in the house!

My dad is awesome. He is one of the smartest people I know. Which is lucky for me because that means every year he comes to San Diego for a super smart science convention thing (and yes that is the official name of it). And since San Diego is less than 2 hours from my house... that means that I get to hang out with him!
My dad loves mexican food and Old Town is the perfect place to score some great eats. We had a delicious dinner at Old Town Mexican Cafe and then walked around a bit checking out the shops and architecture.
You know me and my sweet tooth had to stop in at the candy shop!
Then we decided to take a field trip to the suspension bridge. If you have never been, you should. It is tucked away in a neighborhood and over looks a beautiful canyon. Even though I am a little afraid of heights, I can't fight the urge to rock back and forth to make the whole bridge sway. It is really a fun little spot.
After such a great day I convinced my dad to rearrange some things so I could squeeze a little more time with him. So I drove back down 2 days later to hang out with him again! This time Mason couldn't come with me so this guy came along instead.
The weather was much nicer and so we got to go down to the beach, the dog beach of course!
We tried to coax Gus Gus down into the water, but he was not really into it. He is so mellow it is unreal, he was completely content to walk along and smell the ocean air. I tried to get him to go romp with the other dogs and he just looked at me like I was crazy.
I don't know what it is, but being at the beach always works up an appetite. So we headed back to Old Town and ate at a place called Pizza Bella. I had eaten here once before, after I ran the Rock N Roll Marathon, but I have to admit I don't remember much about that day other than being really sore. So I was excited to try it again.
Growing up in New Haven I am somewhat of a pizza snob so I was a little skeptical at their sign that said 'Best Pizza in America'. We gave it a try and I have to say it did not disappoint. It was seriously delicious. I mean look at this thing. Yum.
Then we went over to the Mormon Battalion, I know, I know I've posted about it before, but what can I say?! My dad had never been and I was happy to go again!
These day trips were so much fun, I can't even tell you. Driving home I realized a few things.

# 1. I really love San Diego and I would not mind living here someday. Who knows, maybe the signs are telling me something : )
# 2. It is very rare that as an adult, I get one on one time with my dad and it is a special treat. It makes me happy to be around my dad and it is a great opportunity for Mason (and myself) get to know him better. Love you poppa!

No comments:

Post a Comment